A New Library Experience in Brantford
This upgrade, which is being funded through the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program and funds contributed by the City of Brantford and Brantford Public Library Board, will create a brighter and more welcoming space that responds to the evolving needs of our community. On a more practical side, the redesign will also address long-standing accessibility issues and accommodate a new customer service model.
The Main Branch will remain open throughout the entire construction period, which will run from mid-June to early 2018.
Highlights of the project
A new all-glass façade that fronts on Colborne Street and adds nearly 500 square feet of space to the Library
- A new more accessible entrance with automatic sliding doors
- Improvements to the Main Branch's HVAC system
New customer service desks and easy-to-use self checkout machines (at both the Main Branch and St. Paul Branch) A large designated Makerspace area designed to advance digital literacy and innovation
- A piece of public art on the exterior of the library honouring world-renowned artist Lawren Harris.
Recent Project Updates
Adult and International DVDs have been moved to the first floor (as of March 27, 2017)
Adult CD's have been moved to the first floor (as of March 27, 2017)
Nipissing materials have been moved to the first floor with existing Wilfrid Laurier materials, which have been shifted over (as of April 4, 2017)
- Playaways (devices that play single books) and Books on CD have been moved to the first floor April 8, 2017)
- All items placed on "hold" have been moved to the first floor. Remember, holds can be sent to the St. Paul Branch to be picked up and all materials can be dropped off at St. Paul too. (June 14, 2017)
- The check out desk at the Main Branch has been moved to the lower level (June 15, 2017)
- The Lawren Harris Public Art piece was unveiled at the Main Branch (October 23, 2017...which is also Harris' birthday!)
- The front entrance of the Main Branch is now closed. Please use the Wharfe Street entrance