The BPL MakerSpace is a place for creation, collaboration and innovation. It's a place for people to connect and explore. We'll provide you with the tools, you come up with the ideas.
- Sewing Machine
- Cricut Cartridges
- Ozobots (How to Use Your Ozobot Video, Genius Hour: Coding Ozobot)
- Arduino Kits
- Raspberry Pi Kits
- Snap Circuits Jr.
- Makey Makey Go - (Invent Everywhere Video, Preview of Makey Makey Go)
- Micro:bits - (Introducing the BBC Micro:bit Video, Micro:bit Getting Started)
- Osmo Genius Kit - (Osmo Genius Kit - Tangram, Words, Numbers, Masterpiece & Newton)
MakerSpace items available for in-library use include:
- Silhouttte Vinyl Cutter
- Silhouette Die Cutting Machine
- VHS to DVD Converter
- Slide Converter (photograph slides converted to digital files)
- LEGO Mindstorms
- Dash Robot
- Digital Media Lab with Apple computers, Adobe Design programs and green screens.
You can now book space in our Digital Media Lab where you can create music, video and art using: iMovie (complete with camera, tripod and greenscreen), GarageBand and the Adobe Creative Suite software package (Photoshop, InDesign, and Dreamweaver). Staff are available to provide limited assistance.
Want to learn how to use editing and programming software? Use your library card to get free access to Lynda.com!
Explore the world of 3D printing at the Main Branch of the Brantford Public Library.
There are three options for 3D printing at the Library
- Print a pre-loaded 15-minute design - Great for first-timers and kids!
- Print a design that takes up to one-hour to print - Great for people who want to try to print their own small designs
- Print a design that takes between one and eight hours to print - Great for people who want to print larger designs.
To print objects that take between one and eight hours, you must:
- Be 13-years-old +
- Be a library cardholder in good standing
- Complete the 3D Printing Certification Program (Upcoming dates listed here) that provides you with the background and resources needed to get started in 3D printing
- Submit your design through www.wetransfer.com to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, the Library will print objects on a first-come-first-served basis and you don't have to be present for the printing of the object)
3D designs that take one to eight hours to print will be charged a $1 flat fee, plus an additional .10 cents per gram of filament used. This charge will be applied directly onto the customer's library card.
Objects will be printed on a first-come-first-served basis and the Library reserves the right to deny print jobs deemed inappropriate.
January 8th, 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Discover new ways to be creative with STEM. Join us for this Makerspace group focusing on learning and collaboration, while playing with Ozobots, Snap Circuits and more.
January 9th, 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Think it, try it! Experiment with unique technologies, learn the basics of block coding, complete challenges with robots or build simple circuit projects.
January 15th, 2:00pm - 3:00pm
Learn about the many opportunities to learn online using free databases and services offered by the Library. These databases offer world-class learning opportunities in almost every area imaginable.
Register for all or one of the programs in this series.
Online registration required, if you need assistance registering please call us at 519-756-2220.
January 15, 2:00 p.m. Register Online
April 16, 2:00 p.m. Register Online
December 11th, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
Here's your chance to bring creativity to the next level!
The Library now offers card holders the chance to print 3D designs that last up to eight hours.
This certification program is mandatory for customers that want to print items that take longer than one hour.
The program will provide an introduction to 3D printing and cover resources needed to get you started creating and modifying designs.
The certification program is open to people ages 13+ and no previous experience is required.
The Library has a range of professional 3D printers, including one that prints in multiple colours.
Registration for the certification sessions is required. If you need assistance registering please call us at 519-756-2220.
Note – Customers can still drop in and print projects that last less than one hour without completing the certification program.
Registration is available for the following program times:
November 20, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Register Online
November 27, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Register Online
November 29, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Register Online
December 11, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Register Online
December 13, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Register Online
December 11th, 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Get into the holiday spirit with crafts, activities, and green screen photos.
December 12th, 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Use maker technology to create unique holiday gifts.
December 5 - LED Holiday Cards
December 12 - 3D Printed Ornaments
December 13th, 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Design and build your own Lego creations or complete Lego challenges!
December 27th, 10:00am - 4:00pm
Main & St. Paul Branch
Explore our pop-up activity zones on your break!
December 27 - Tech Zone
December 28 - Game Zone
December 29 - Craft Zone
January 2 - Craft Zone
January 3 - Tech Zone
January 4 - Game Zone