Browse alphabetically by Last Name
Richard Bruce Taylor
Less than two months before V-E Day, on March 8, 1945, Pte. Richard Bruce Taylor lost his life at Xanten, Germany, and was buried near where he made the supreme sacrifice. Enlisting in the Canadian Army in October, 1943, Pte. Taylor had been trained in Toronto, Brantford and Camp Borden and from the last named centre was posted overseas with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles in August of the following year. Going into action on the European continent, he was wounded in October and taken to an English hospital. Upon his return to front line duty, he was with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry until his death. Born in Brantford, January 23, 1913, the son of Mr. George Taylor (now deceased) and Mrs. Taylor, 28 Lyons Ave., Bruce was educated at Dufferin and Graham Bell Schools and then with his family moved to Detroit, where he completed his education at the Northern High School. Returning to Brantford, he opened and successfully operated a confectionery store at the corner of King and Darling Streets. Subsequently he sold this business and was employed at the Cockshutt Plow Company, Ltd. An enthusiastic athlete, Pte. Taylor excelled, during his high school days, in track meets and was the winner of many coveted ribbons. When he again took up the threads of friendship here, he continued being interested in the activities of the local sporting world. He was a valuable addition to the Cockshutt hockey team in the Inter-Factory League, did a great deal of bowling, and during the summer, played golf at the Arrowdale Club. He was also a member of the Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles (Reserve) and because of his varied activities had a large number of friends in the city. He was a member of the First Church of Christ, Scientist. In 1939, he was married to Miss Marguerite Sloan who with their children, Pamela and Laurence, reside at 27 Ada Avenue.