Lloyd Marshall Banks

Lloyd Marshall Banks

F/S Lloyd Marshall Banks, younger son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred R, Banks, 45 James Street, Echo Place, enjoyed the distinction of being a member of the famous Ghost Squadron of the Royal Air Force Bomber Command and it has been said by the military command that because of the daring and hazardous raids by this Squadron, whose main purpose was to eliminate the robot bomb sites, England was spared six months of the terrifying and deadly missiles. The job was to prove finally fatal for F/S Banks who, on August 18, 1943, lost his life near Peenemunde in the Baltic Sea region. His body, recovered from the sea, was buried on the Rugen Island, close to Sweden. Born in Toronto, he came to Brantford with his parents when quite young and his schools were Dufferin and the Brantford Collegiate Institute. For a short time, he was employed in the personnel department of the Cockshutt Plow Company. He enlisted in August, 1941, in the R.C.A.F., and was trained as a wireless air gunner at Toronto, Aylmer, Belleville, Montreal and Mont Joli. From the last named school, in October, 1942, he received his wings. F/S Banks' civilian interests were centred in his home, because he was particularly fond of music and reading. Attending Brant Avenue United Church and Sunday school, he found expression for his love of singing in the activities there and often took part in the concerts and entertainments.

<< back to results