We never close! Do you need to find the latest Patricia Cornwell novel? Perhaps you are looking for information on interior decorating or the best resources to help you with a school project. The BPL catalogue BiblioCommons is available 24/7 and allows you to search all of your library's print, audio-visual and electronic resources.
The new enriched content features of the catalogue let you explore your library's collection in an entire new way, including:
- Newly arrived books, DVDs and CDs
- Add your own comments or reviews to any item in the library's catalogue
- Create lists of your favourite titles and share them with other library users
- Receive reading, listening and viewing recommendations from other library users
Visit the Main or St. Paul branch with your Brantford Public Library card and ask for a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You must perform a quick one-time registration and create a unique username (click here for Q&A’s on BiblioCommons registration). Your username and PIN allow you to place requests on library material and take full advantage of all the interactive features of the new catalogue. You can access your personal account information by clicking on the My BPL tab on the catalogue's toolbar. My BPL allows you to personally control your account and perform many tasks, including:
- Check your account for items borrowed, due dates and fines
- Renew material you currently have out
- View your list of requested items and cancel any requests you have
- Review items you have commented on and lists you have created
Here are a list of tips for BiblioCommons:
EBSCOhost now offers Audio Books and eBooks which can be read/listened to online or downloaded. You will need a library card to log in to these resources. Help on downloading and transferring them to your mp3 player or ebook reader is available at: Audiobook help, eBook help.
Streaming now available via Freegal! Stream up to 3 hours of content each and every day.
Freegal is a downloadable music service offered through the Library. It offers access to over 7.9 million songs, including Sony Music's catalog. In total the collection is comprised of music from over 28,000 labels from over 100 countries. There is no software to download and there are no digital rights management (DRM) restrictions. Using your library card number and PIN, patrons may download up to 5 songs per week. For frequently asked questions about this service, click here.
Overdrive: With a valid library card you can browse and search for hundreds of electronic books and downloadable audio books and music files. Browse the Overdrive catalogue and check out items for download to your computer or portable device. If you are a first-time user, go to the OverDrive help page for eBook and audiobook basics, information on device compatibility, and step by step instructions on how to get set up for downloading. Instructional videos are included. an app for that! Just search for "OverDrive" in your apps store -- it's free.
Go Mobile: If you have a mobile device, there's an app for that! Just search for "OverDrive" in your apps store — it's free. It will connect you directly to the Overdrive catalogue from your phone or tablet.
Download Station: If you don't have a computer, eAudiobooks can be downloaded using the Download Station at the Main Library. Once you check in with your library card number, you can plug in your MP3 player and download titles directly to your device.
Please note that at this time it is not possible to download ebooks to a Kindle device.
Find our Tumblebooks collections from any page on our website by selecting them from the eBooks & Audio page. Tumblebooks are now available for kids and teens alike.
- AudioBookCloud: Listen online to audio books in many different categories: fiction, non-fiction, classics and even Spanish language audio books! There are 1,000 books in the collection and we're always adding more!
- Tumblebooks Library: Calling all Kids! Enjoy story books, read-alongs and language learning with full animation. For iPad users, checkout the new iPad Books collection under story books. The french version (BiblioEnfants) is also available here.
- TumbleBookCloud: is an online collection of read-along titles for elementary, middle school, and high school students which features adjustable online text and complete audio narration. The collection features chapter books, early readers, YA/Teen Novels.
- TumbleBookCloud JR: contains early reader chapter books, children's classics, graphic novels, children's audiobooks and new National Geographic videos for elementary school aged readers.
The Zinio digital magazine service lets you read full digital copies of selected magazines for free from your computer, smartphone or tablet.
The Brantford Public Library, in partnership with Wilfrid Laurier University, provides you with access to the Primo catalogue. This unique resource features the combined catalogues of the universities of Wilfrid Laurier, Guelph, and Waterloo. Brantford Public Library cardholders can request a Wilfrid Laurier University Courtesy Card at the Circulation Desk.
To request a book from the WLU collection:
- In the library, click on the Primo-WLU Catalogue link listed under the Catalogues heading. From home, click on the Catalogues tab at the top of the Brantford Public Library webpage and click on the Primo catalogue link to search.
- Select the field you want from the Search In: box. Type what you are looking for in the Search For: box. You can do a basic search, combined keyword search or browse for new books. Remember that you may only borrow printed books from WLU.
- Once you have selected a book, simply click on the Location link to request it. You will be prompted to sign into your e-shelf Account in Primo, by typing your last name in lower case letters and adding your barcode in the appropriate box. Then choose Wilfrid Laurier University and click Login. After you have logged in, you will be able to choose either hold or recall. After you make the selection using the drop down menu at the top, the request form will pop up and you must choose WLU Brantford Circulation as your pickup location. Click Submit Request to complete your request.
- The books you requested will be delivered to the Brantford Public Library for you to pick up. You will be notified by email when the books have arrived. The books must be returned to BPL so that they can be sent back to the Wilfrid Laurier University Library.
Our online Interlibrary Loan system, INFOntario, allows customers to place their own requests. This will reduce the amount of time it takes to request and receive an item. Customers will be able to:
- Search for titles
- Place requests
- View request status
- Cancel requests
- Manage account details
Something to remember when ordering multiple items at once is that they may all come in at the same time but the borrowing period would still be 3 weeks with no renewals. Please consider spacing out requests to avoid getting multiple items at one time.
For more information on what can be borrowed, click here.
Note: Material can no longer be borrowed from Library and Archives Canada (LAC).
Once you have checked that Brantford Public Library does not have the item you're looking for, you can request an interlibrary loan.
Before signing in to the INFO system for the first time, users must register with the BPL Interlibrary Loan department at email@example.com or 519-756-2220 ext. 337 to obtain a user account. Once you are registered:
- Click on the link to the INFO system and sign in with your User ID, which is your 14-digit BPL library card barcode, and password provided with your registration.
- Select Sign In and enter your User ID (your BPL 14 digit library card number, no spaces) and password. The password assigned to you is temporary, so log-in to "Account Details" to change it.
- Choose Brantford Public Library as your library location from the Authentication Service menu.
- Select Standard or Advanced Search.
- ALWAYS select SOLS Niagara Peninsula (Shared) as your initial search profile.
- Enter keywords from the title, and/or author. No matches from the first profile? Select another profile and repeat the search in each available profile, moving through all the profiles if necessary.
- Select Details to verify this is the item you want.
- Select Get It! to place a request. Item details are automatically entered in the interlibrary loan form. Select your pickup location: the Main Library or St. Paul branch.
- Click Submit to send your request.
Interlibrary Loan Online Video Tutorial
For more information please contact the library's Reference or Information Desk at 519-756-2220.